Sunday 1 April 2012

The Blue Blazer: 2 Spittal Street Edinburgh



It’s difficult to know what to say about this bar. It’s in a terrible location surrounded by average bars such as Chanter and the area of tacky strip bars known as the ‘Pubic Triangle’. Therefore it hasn’t much to compete with. From previous visits it struck me as traditional, boring and bitter, in the same way as the Oxford Bar. Indeed I have read other reviews complaining about the rude service of the bar staff.
However I went along recently on a Sunday night for an open mic night which I enjoyed. I had a nice pint of Trade Winds, the barman seemed fine, and though the band was slightly repetitive, they created a good atmosphere. The bar itself is a traditional wooden style bar decorated with whisky boxes, beer adverts and historic photos.
As I said, I went on a Sunday for a quiet pint, which I think this bar is right for. At weekends or during the festival I could see this small bar getting quite crowded, and if you were on a lively night out this bar would be a bit of a mood killer.


The old man in this advert would love this pub!

No comments:

Post a Comment